Monday, November 22, 2010

The Story of The Leaf

This morning I spoke to Seventh and Eighth grade girls. The principal told me I can do anything I want with them. ( First I thought maybe I'll take them bungee jumping, or parasailing. Then I thought i should just teach them how to knit or how to make paper airplanes) In the end I gave them a workshop on my favorite topic. .........HASHGACHA PRATIS! (I also tied it in to Chanukah) I started off by showing them a leaf. ( When I told my father that I was going to show them a leaf, he asked me if I was still able to get one outside or because it's gotten so cold, if I had to order it on-line. I actually was able to get it outside). I told the girls I wanted to tell them the Story of the Leaf:
There was an old man walking down the road when he saw a leaf on the ground. Stopping in front of the leaf he asked him,
"Excuse me, Little Leaf, why do you lay there on the ground like that, you don't belong there, you belong on the tree."
The Little Leaf answered,
"Don't ask me, ask the tree, I just follow what he tells me to do."
So the old man asked the tree,
"Mr. Tree, why is the little leaf on the ground, he doesn't belong there."
Mr. Tree answered,
"Don't ask me ask the wind, I just stand here, he's the one that blew the Little Leaf down."
So the the old man went to the wind and said,
"Hey you Mr. Big and Mighty Wind, why is that leaf on the ground, why did you blow him down."
"Don't ask me, ask G-d, I just follow His orders, He says 'blow', I blow."
So the old man went to G-d and said
"G-d why is the Little Leaf on the ground?"
"Son," G-d said "Pick up the leaf and tell me what you see."
The old man bent down and picked up the leaf and saw, lying underneath was a worm.
"Now I understand," said the old man smiling.
"Little leaf, you are there to keep the worm warm, that's why you had to fall."
A small little leaf has a purpose, a reason, a mission, how much more so us, who are much more then a little leaf"

No comments: